Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Julia, the Theater, and Harvey Fierstein


My 7 year old daughter is a big supporter of the Arts. She draws, paints, and writes stories as well as enjoys film, theater, and the latest adventures of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Who doesn’t enjoy the fascinating tales of Gregory navigating between a life of multiple abuses from his older brother Rodrick and a black hole of parental affection caused by his younger brother Manny?

Julia: Why don’t they act like adults and talk out their problems?

Me: Because they’re not adults and adventures of kids behaving well doesn’t sell books.

Julia: Why does Gregory hate homework and why does their dad do Rodrick’s homework?

Me: Because Rodrick is a stupid boy with no future and evil parents. If you don’t do your homework, you’ll end up living at home and having to listen to your parents forever.

Julia: I love school and homework. But why can’t Rodrick make money being a rock star in his band?

Me: You’re never allowed to ever date anyone in a band. I think its bed time.

She’s dabbled in acting, but her true talent in direction surfaced at the age of five. The first and last time we re-enacted a scene from the classic film, Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Me: As Papi –“My name is Papi. I am descended from an ancient line of proud warriors. My ancestors went into battle and we will find you my princess! I am a Chihuahua! “

Julia: That’s not how it goes! Do it again!

Me: –“My name is Papi. I am descended from an ancient line of proud warriors. My ancestors went into battle and we got the hook up and we won’t rest rest until we find you! I am a Chihuahua.

Julia: No! This is Papi’s line! “My name is Papi. I am descended from an ancient line of proud warriors. My ancestors went into battle, alongside Aztec soldiers. Today, we move within the inner circles of the wealthiest and most powerful people on the planet. Who am I? The question is... What am I?  I'm a Chihuahua!

Me: Did you memorize the lines of the movie?

Julia: Just the important parts about Chloe. Daddy do you remember when you were an actor on that Disney show where you carried a monkey?

Me: Yes…

Julia: Next time, do it like that.

After getting a line reading from my daughter, I decided that we should break for rest of the day. She may be a budding director, but I’m still executive producer until she turns 18.

Last Sunday, Julia went with my wife to attend the Sunday dress rehearsal of Kinky Boots at the Bank of America Theater in Chicago as guests of her friend in the show, Eric Leviton. (Big thank you to Eric.) Julia was beyond excited and the event turned the tide on the “I can’t do anything because I have a broken arm!” blues. They left at 4PM for the city and returned around 1130PM.

Me: Did you enjoy the show?

Julia: It was great! I loved it! I met Eric, we ate dinner, I talked with Harvey Fierstein, and the show was wonderful!

Me: You talked with Harvey Fierstein?

Julia: He asked me about my arm and told me I shouldn’t fall down when I’m playing soccer. He wrote Kinky Boots. I also met someone named Cyndi Lauper.

Me: You should get ready for bed. You have a lot to tell your friends tomorrow.

Julia: My friends don’t know these people, but I’ll tell my teacher. She’ll know who they are.

She asks the right questions, demands perfection, meets the right people, and knows how to network. By the time she hits the teen years my Executive Producer parental credit will be reduced to the time honored fatherly role of Associate Producer awarded for putting on pants and smiling in pictures.

As long as I’m working, it works for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment